“Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad.” Salvador Dali
Tomorrow is National Drawing Day and here is the round up of some of the best events to attend as part of it. I have saved the best for last.
5. At number 5, The School House for Art in Enniskerry have a full schedule of events all weekend and all are absolutely free. Which is very generous, considering the School House run courses year long and this is their main business. Get in touch on 01 286 9594 or email@example.com
4. My old stomping ground Limerick hosts it’s own fun event: “Create a Character with Mark Heng” at The Hunt Museum in which you’ll create a portrait of your own imaginary character while learning about anatomy and drawing fundamentals. Check out their Facebook event page here.
3. Join artist Janine Davidson at one of my favourite galleries The Hugh Lane to celebrate National Drawing Day. From 1pm on Saturday she holds a workshop “Inspired by our current exhibition Port Life: Eugeen Van Mieghem, we will experiment drawings from 2D to 3D landscapes exploring a variety of materials and different perspectives that will bring to life a maritime scenery on the paper surface”
Free – No booking required.
2. The Kingdom will celebrate National Drawing Day 2017 at Kerry County Museum Practicing artists Roisin McGuigan takes participants on visual exploration of the intriguing flint artefacts excavated at Killaclohane Portal Tomb, Milltown Co. Kerry
Date: Saturday 20 May
Times: 11am-11.45am (family session 1)
12noon – 12.45pm (family session 2)
2pm-2.45pm (over 16s session 1)
3pm-3.45pm (over 16s session 2)
Duration: 45 minutes + 15 minutes Q&A
Group size: 12 per session (no booking; first come first served)
- Saving the best for last, at The National Gallery have a full list of events on the day but whats catching my attention is, childhood drawing hero of “Draw With Don” fame (yes my sister had the book and yes I drew every single page) Don Conroy competes in a lunchtime Art Battle from 12.30pm-2pm. Fatti Burke is his worthy competitor and the public decide the winner. Hashtag your drawing tomorrow with #NationalDrawingDay. I’ll be in The Winter Garden’s cheering on Don. See you there